Heart Disease / Cholesterol <from Chris Kresser .com>
For the last half century, the medical establishment has vigorously promoted the notion that high cholesterol is a primary risk factor for coronary heart disease, and that a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol causes heart disease. These hypotheses are widely accepted as fact by many physicians and the general public alike, despite the overwhelming body of evidence that suggests otherwise.In the following articles, I <Chris Kresser> review over fifty years of research demonstrating that:
- High cholesterol is not the primary cause of heart disease.
- Diets high in saturated fat and cholesterol don’t cause heart disease.
- Consumption of so-called “heart healthy” vegetable oils is linked to heart disease, cancer and many other conditions.
- Statin drugs don’t reduce the risk of death for most people, and have dangerous side effects and complications.
- Study Reveals Doubt on Cholesterol Drug
- Three Eggs a Day Keep the Doctor Away!
- The Truth About Statin Drugs
- Cholesterol Doesn’t Cause Heart Disease
- Low-carb Diet Best for Weight Loss
- Statins for Pregnant Women and Kids?
- How to Increase Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Research Alert: Antidepressants & Cholesterol
- Inflammation Worsens Danger of Heart Disease
- More on Statin Side Effects
- Three More Studies That Should Make You Skeptical of Mainstream Health Advice
- More Silly Shenanigans Against Saturated Fat
- Have Some Butter With Your Veggies!
- New Study Puts Final Nail in the “Saturated Fat Causes Heart Disease” Coffin
- The Most Important Thing You Probably Don’t Know About Cholesterol
- Ten Steps to Preventing Heart Disease Naturally
- Why You Should Eat More (not less) Cholesterol
- What’s Wrong With ‘Politically Correct’ Nutrition?, Weston A. Price Foundation
- The Soft Science of Dietary Fat, by Gary Taubes
- The Skinny on Fats, by Sally Fallon & Mary Enig, Ph.D
- The Oiling of America, by Mary Enig, Ph.D
- High Cholesterol & Heart Disease: Myth or Truth?, by Chris Masterjohn
- The Weston A. Price Foundation (excellent information about nutrition)
- The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics (group of physicians and researchers worldwide who challenge the “cholesterol-heart disease hypothesis
- Cholesterol and Health (excellent, research-based website focused on debunking popular myths about cholesterol and heart disease)
- Nourishing Our Children (must see for parents)
- Wise Food Ways (see section on “where the wise foods are” for local food resources)
- Eat Wild (for locating grass-fed meat and dairy products)
- Real Milk (for health benefits of raw dairy products)
- The Cholesterol Myths, by Uffe Ravnskov M.D., Ph.D (written by a physician with a Ph.D in statistics; Dr. Ravnskov has been an independent researcher debunking the myths of cholesterol and saturated fat since the 70s)
- The Great Cholesterol Con, by Anthony Colpo (*over 1400 references, but easy to read as well; highly recommended)
- The Great Cholesterol Con, by Malcom Kendrick M.D. (lucid and humorous; a great introduction)
- The Fluoride Deception, by Christopher Bryson (a lucid and well-researched analysis of the dangers of fluoride)
- Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon (the “bible” of traditional, whole-foods nutrition; information & recipes)
- Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition & Craft of Live-Culture Foods, by Sandor Katz (the best book on fermentation and live-culture foods I know of)
- Full Moon Feast, by Jessica Prentice (an excellent introduction to the native nutrition lifestyle & a fantastic cookbook)