Friday, October 7, 2011

A Runner's Story of Stride Correction


Overstriding promotes a heel-first landing that reduces running efficiency and increases impact stress on legs and feet.

Overstriding promotes a heel-first landing that reduces running efficiency and increases impact stress on legs and feet.

Photograph by: ALLEN MCINNIS GAZETTE FILE, The Gazette

I've jumped on the forefoot running bandwagon. And while the jury is still out regarding its long-term benefits, I've decided to give this much-heralded technique a try.
The reason I've changed my running style after 20 years is I can't seem to get rid of my knee pain. And after reading about my ongoing battle with iliotibial band syndrome (pain on the outside of the knee), veteran triathlete coach Gilbert Ayoub offered to look at my technique and suggest tips on making running more "knee friendly."
Ayoub's evaluation tools include a treadmill, camera, large-screen TV and a keen eye, which he used to take stock of my style. The conclusion is that I overstride, which Ayoub says promotes a heel first landing that reduces running efficiency and increases impact stress on the lower extremities.

His suggestion is to shorten my stride, increase my turnover, lift my heels higher, adopt a more forward lean and change from striking heel first to a mid-to forefoot landing.




No comments:

Post a Comment